Distance Learning Resources
Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, all current lessons by Studio Wie are being done remotely using the Zoom.us videoconferencing platform. For the best possible student experience, please review the following:
1. The Zoom app is available for free from their website at https://www.zoom.us/download/. It is available for all platforms, including Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android. It is always preferable to use the App rather than the web-only interface.
2. In the Zoom program preferences, select the Audio Settings and set the following:
DISABLE - Automatically adjust microphone volume
ENABLE - Allow option for using original sound (if available)
OFF - Suppress persistent background noise
OFF - Suppress intermittent background noise
In the main video screen, you will select the box that says "Enable Original Sound" if it is available for your device.
3. Most computers, tablets, or smartphones with built-in cameras and microphones will suffice for private lessons. For the best audio quality, an external microphone is very helpful. The Blue Yeti ($129) and the Blue Snowball ($69) are excellent choices, although the Blue Snowball iCE ($49) is very good as well. The higher-end models offer more recording options beyond using it for videoconferencing.
4. Strings - Please place the device high enough that you are visible entirely from the sound-hole side of your instrument and that your full range of bow motion and left hand are visible. Clarinet - The device should be angled slightly to your right so that your embouchure is visible as well as all your fingers. Your music stand should be on the LEFT side of the camera. Quartets - Place the device higher than the seated ensemble so that everyone can be seen.
5. Please prepare for your lessons a few minutes before our scheduled start time. Ensure that the space that you are in is free of distractions, and that you are dressed appropriately for a learning environment. Have all your materials and a pencil on hand so that you can take notes.
6. Parents of younger students should attend the entire lesson so that they may take notes and assist the child with more complicated instructions. This is essential for the success of our preschool and elementary age students!
If you require assistance with any of this technology, please contact us for support.